i first made a version of these cookies years ago – remember these chocolate peanut butter cup cookies? pretty awesome photography, huh? haha, sad days with my old phone that took terrible pictures. anyway…
with the peanut butter cups, the cookies were just a bit too sweet. so i made some adjustments and came up with this version. believe me, it is sooooo much better. chris agrees too – it’s now one of his favorite cookies.
the mixture of peanut butter chips and semi sweet chocolate chips provide a much better balance than the peanut butter cups did.
another reason these cookies are great is that they are almost brownie like – soft and kind of chewy, since they are soft baked. yum!
(note: pictures below are of a double batch)
in a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder (i used hershey’s special dark), flour, baking soda, and salt.
next in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
cream until the mixture is light and fluffy.
add the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
mix to combine.
pour in 1/2 of the cocoa/flour mixture. mix just to combine.
then add the rest of it and mix, making sure to scrape the bowl with a spatula as needed to make sure it all get’s incorporated.
the dough is now ready…
for some chocolate and peanut butter chips!
fold the chips in and you’re all set!
using a 1/4 cup cookie scoop or measuring cup, scoop out the cookie dough onto parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheets.
bake at 350 degrees f for 12-14 minutes. don’t be worried if they look a bit too soft or underdone. they will set up as they cool.
finally it’s time to enjoy one with a big ol’ glass of milk.
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
adapted slightly from Annie’s Eats
- 1½ cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¾ stick (6 tbsp.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Blend until smooth.
- Add half of the cocoa/flour mixture. Mix just to combine. Add the rest of the mixture and again mix just to combine. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl, as necessary.
- Add the chocolate and peanut butter chips and fold in gently with a spatula.
- Use a large dough scoop (about 3 tablespoons or 1/4 cup) to drop rounds of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. (The cookies may seem too soft immediately after coming out of the oven but they will set as they cool. You don’t want to overbake them.)
- Let cool on the baking sheets about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chip Cookies