i’ve mentioned before that i am a member of our office’s two person spirit committee and that one of our responsibilities is to bring birthday treats. well tomorrow is my committee member’s birthday so i wanted to surprise him with m&m cupcakes. he’s always so generous bringing in birthday treats for everyone else in the office that i thought it would be nice to give him some special birthday treats in return. i decided to make m&m cupcakes because he LOVES m&ms. like he has a bunch of different m&m dispensers in his office and all kinds of other m&m memorabilia. i looked up a few different m&m cupcake recipes but decided on making chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream decorated with m&ms.
i’ve tried a couple other chocolate frosting recipes and they were all terrible. but i think i found a winner! this one isn’t too sweet and has just enough chocolate flavor. yay! it’s a combination of my go to vanilla buttercream recipe and a chocolate buttercream recipe from one of my favorite blogs, brown eyed baker.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl once or twice.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Once all of the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase the speed to medium-high and add the vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Add the melted chocolate and heavy cream and whip at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed to incorporate all of the chocolate.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Chocolate Buttercream