yesterday chris and i had our engagement party. since we are having our wedding back home in hawaii, i thought it would be perfect to have the engagement party luau themed. you know to share the aloha spirit! haha. anyway we made a bunch of local food like spam musubi, somen salad, chinese chicken salad, chicken katsu and more. for dessert i made peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes and these haupia cupcakes.
haupia is hawaiian coconut pudding and it is one of my favorite desserts. these haupia cupcakes are very very coconut-y. it’s a coconut cupcake with haupia filling, coconut frosting and shredded coconut on top.
i think they turned out great! if you like coconut, i would definitely suggest making a batch of these haupia cupcakes.
first, make the haupia filling. it’s close to regular haupia but not a firm which makes it easier to fill the cupcakes with…
next, bake the coconut cupcakes…
once the cupcakes are completely cool, fill them with the haupia filling using the cone method…
then frost the cupcakes and cover the frosting with the shredded coconut and then you’re all pau! yay!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 c coconut milk
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1/2 c water
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk
- Shredded coconut
- To make the haupia filling, mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch with water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut milk in a medium saucepan.
- Stir into sugar/cornstarch mixture into hot coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in vanilla and cool.
- To make the coconut cupcakes, prepare the cake mix according to package directions using 2/3 cup of the coconut milk, 2/3 cup water, and the eggs.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Using the cone method, use a small paring knife to cut a cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Add some haupia filling to the cupcake and replace the top portion of the cone, slicing off the tip to leave room for the filling.
- To make coconut buttercream, in a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and coconut milk and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
- Frost cupcakes then dip cupcakes in a shallow bowl filled with shredded coconut. Cover frosting with shredded coconut.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Haupia Cupcakes