today was a wonderfully lazy day. i watched probably 10 episodes of secret life of an american teenager, the best show ever, on netflix. okay maybe not 10 episodes but probably 5 and i know it’s certainly not the best show ever, but it still is pretty entertaining. haha. well in between watching tv i also made a batch of everything bagels.
i used the same bagel recipe that i’ve used before, but adapted it a bit and added the “everything” topping from brown eyed baker. i think they turned out pretty awesome! they are a little salty but still delicious. i can’t wait to have them for breakfast this week. only, i wish they weren’t so smelly. haha you know with all the garlic and onion, you definitely have to brush your teeth or chew some gum after eating everything bagels. still they are quite yummy and well worth the stinky breath. 😉
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups very warm tap water (120°-130°F)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 teaspoons dried garlic (minced or flaked)
- 3 teaspoons dried onion (minced or chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or other coarse salt)
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- Gradually add warm water to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer (at medium speed), scrape bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup flour. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups). Knead with dough hook for 8 minutes.
- Place dough in ungreased bowl, cover and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes.
- (Dough will NOT be doubled in bulk.) Punch dough down and turn out on to a lightly floured board.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. To shape the bagels, start by pushing a hole through the center of the roll with your thumb and then stretching out the hole, making sure that the resulting ring has a fairly even thickness all around.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes. (Dough will NOT be doubled in bulk.)
- In a large shallow pan, boil a 1 3/4 inch depth of water and mix in 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Lower heat and add a few bagels at a time.
- Simmer bagels for 7 minutes (3 1/2 minutes on each side).
- Remove bagels from water and place on a towel to cool.
- Cool bagels for 5 minutes, then place them on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake bagels at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with cold water. In another small bowl combine ingredients for the everything topping.
- Remove bagels from oven and brush with egg /water mixture. Sprinkle the bagels with the everything topping.
- Return bagels to oven and bake about 20 minutes longer, or until done.
- Remove bagels from baking sheets and cool on wire rack.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Everything Bagels