one of my coworkers is getting married soon, so during our office’s end of the semester celebration, we had a little surprise for her. everyone in the office chipped in and got her a gift and i also wanted to make cupcakes especially for her. of course, i wanted to make sure that i made a flavor that she liked. i knew she doesn’t like chocolate so i thought something fruity might be nice. but there are so many different fruity possibilities. but then i remembered that she had mentioned that she thought the lemon ice cream with raspberry swirl sounded really good, so i figured this would be a good combination for her cupcakes. i just kind of winged it and here’s what i came up with, lemon zested cupcakes with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream. i tried one last night and really liked how they turned out. they are fresh and bright and i especially like the raspberry filling.
for the frosting, i tried the rose technique from i am baker. if you haven’t checked out this blog, i highly recommend doing so. her cakes are absolutely stunning. i thought the roses would be a little fancier since these were kind of wedding inspired cupcakes. i think they turned out pretty nicely considering it way my first attempt at it but i’ll definitely be practicing more in the future.
Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- To make the filling, in a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour into a fine strainer set over a bowl, and using the back of a spoon, press and scrape the pulp and juices through the strainer for several minutes until you have just a clump of seeds left in the strainer. Set filling aside to cool (discard seeds).
- Prepare and bake cupcakes as directly on the box, just make sure to also add the lemon zest in the cake batter.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Using the cone method, use a small paring knife to cut a cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Add some filling to the cupcake and replace the top portion of the cone, slicing off the tip to leave room for the filling.
- To make frosting, in a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice, cream, and lemon zest and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Pipe frosting on to cupcakes as desired.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes