what do you do when you have a bag of lemons? make whole wheat lemon poppy seed muffins of course. 🙂 we didn’t really have anything in our apartment for breakfast so yesterday i made a batch of these muffins. i found a lovely lemon poppy seed muffin recipe on annie’s eats. but i wanted to make them just a little healthy since we’ll be eating them for breakfast so i exchanged half of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour. i was a bit worried that the whole wheat flour would make it the muffins really dense and heavy but amazingly they were moist and light like regular muffins. yay!
Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
adapted from annie’s eats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla) or buttermilk
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir briefly to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Mix in the lemon zest and the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in two additions alternating with the yogurt, beating each addition just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the prepared liners, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the muffins are still warm, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl to make the glaze. Drizzle a small amount of the glaze over each muffin. Let the glaze set before serving.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins