today chris’ niece, elizabeth and i made cheerilee cherry tarts for her mom’s birthday. the recipe actually came from a my little pony coloring/activity book. crazy! they are pretty much mini cheesecakes with cherry pie topping. they look really good but we’ll see how they turned out tonight after birthday dinner. it’s super fun cooking with kids. elizabeth did almost everything from measuring to mixing. she did great!
Cheerilee Cherry Tarts
adapted from a My Little Pony Coloring and Activity Book
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 1 1/8 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 T white sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cup liners into muffin tins.
- To make filling: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in eggs, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- To make crust: Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crust forms small crumbs. Put one spoonful of crust into each cup cake liner and pat it down. Spoon a layer of filling on top of crusts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes. When tarts are fresh from oven, spoon cherry pie filling over top of each.
- Let tarts chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.